Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Body Drama

Being a woman means I have a lot of opinions about my body and body image. I will probably be making many posts about body image, but I will start with this:

Weight

The majority of women are not happy with their weight and I am no exception. The important thing is that all women should feel happy with themselves. Now, don't get me wrong, I still think that if you are at an unhealthy weight you should do your best to change that. I just mean that no one should self-hate because nothing productive comes out of it.

What actually sparked the idea to write this post was:
I came home from work and went to the bathroom to change out of my work clothes. I paused to look at myself in the mirror, turned sideways, and got a little frustrated. I am currently on "that time of the month" so I am a bit bloated, plus I know that I weigh a few pounds more than I should. Looking in the mirror all I could think is "I could pass as being 3-4 months pregnant" I know for a fact that I am not the only girl that has felt that her extra weight makes her look preganant. The thing that I don't get is why we should even have these thoughts in our head? I have even heard a lady in her late 60s say "I can't wear that because it makes me look pregnant"
Does everyone realize that if we just stop asking people "are you pregnant" we wouldn't have to worry about looking pregnant. I think that from now on you should never ask someone "are you pregnant" unless they are about to pop and shopping for baby clothes. Then, instead of asking "are you pregnant" just say "congrats! when are you due?"

Another thing, why is it okay for a guy to be over weight? When a guy is over weight he's not "fat" he is just "husky" or "a big guy" I am guilty of saying "I like big guys" but you never hear anyone say "i like fat guys" However, if someone where to say "I like you because I like big girls" most girls would take that offensively. Media tells females what size they should be and not that we should love our body every and any size. We all need to shift our focus to being size healthy.

As always, comments and questions are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment